Employment in Ukraine


In accordance with the Constitution of Ukraine, foreigners and stateless persons, who legally stay in Ukraine, enjoy the same rights and freedoms as well as carry the same responsibilities as citizens of Ukraine – with the exceptions established by the Constitution, laws or international treaties of Ukraine.

This guarantee also applies to the right for work of foreigners and stateless persons.

In order to work, a foreigner shall speak Ukrainian or Russian, because these languages ​​are widely used in Ukraine, and Ukrainian is the state and official language in Ukraine.

Knowledge of other languages, in particular English, will be an advantage for you before other applicants for a vacancy, as for some professions and activities of companies knowledge of English can be provided as a mandatory condition for participation in the selection to take a vacant position.

Therefore, if, along with higher education, there is also a goal of employment in Ukraine, the primary goal after arrival shall be the study of Ukrainian or Russian language.

Having acquired the education, knowledge and skills of a future profession, being proficient in the language of country of residence and along with this English or other foreign language used in the world, you have a good chance of getting a job and fair wage in international companies and companies, specializing in the production of information technology products.

The Law of Ukraine “On Employment of Population” stipulates that employers have the right to use the work of foreigners and stateless persons under the terms of an employment agreement only if the Public Employment Service has issued to the employer a permit to use the work of foreigners and stateless persons, unless otherwise provided by international treaties with Ukraine.

    Also, the Law provides individual cases of employment without such permit:

  • Foreigners permanently residing in Ukraine;
  • Foreigners who have acquired refugee status in accordance with the legislation of Ukraine or have received a permit for immigration to Ukraine;
  • Foreigners who are recognized as persons in need of additional protection or who have been granted temporary protection in Ukraine;
  • Representatives of foreign marine (river) fleet and airlines who provide services to such companies on the territory of Ukraine;
  • Employees of foreign media accredited for work in Ukraine;
  • Athletes who have acquired professional status, artists and art workers for work in Ukraine on specialty;
  • Employees of emergency rescue services for performing urgent work;
  • Employees of foreign representations registered on the territory of Ukraine in accordance with the procedure established by law;
  • Clerics who are foreigners and stay temporarily in Ukraine at the invitation of religious organizations for the performance of canonical activity only in such organizations, with the official approval of the body that has registered the Articles of Association (regulations) of the religious organization;
  • Foreigners who arrived to Ukraine for participation in the implementation of international technical assistance projects;
  • Foreigners who have arrived to Ukraine for conducting teaching and/or scientific activities at higher educational institutions at their invitation;
  • Other foreigners in cases stipulated by the laws and international agreements of Ukraine, the consent on binding of which is provided by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.

Involvement of highly skilled foreign specialists and workers, who are necessary for the national economy, is carried out on the grounds determined by the Law of Ukraine "On Immigration".

The registration of documents, necessary for obtaining a permit for the employment of foreigners, is carried out by the employer who invites a foreigner to work.

This permit gives the employer the right to temporarily use of work of a particular foreigner at a particular workplace or position.

The permit for the use of labour is fixed-term, issued for a period from 6 months to 3 years, which depends on the duration of agreement with the employer.

There is also a fee for obtaining a work permit from 2 to 6 living wages for able-bodied persons.

The payment is made by the employer.

After the expiration of permit, it can be extended indefinitely if the person continues to work.

Mini logo